+ Is Costa rica safe?
Costa Rica is politically stable and safe to travel to. The village where you will be staying -Montezuma- is a small and quiet surfer town and there is a 24h/7 guardian at the lofts, so you should not be worried.
+ Do i need a passport?
YES. Your passport must be valid for a minimum of 6 months following the departure date. Which means it must be vaild through 9/2019 to be safe. Americans do not need a visa to enter Costa Rica.
+ Where do I fly into?
- San Jose International Airport
- Then you need a 25 minute flight from San Jose International Airport to Tambor Airstrip where a taxi will drive you through the famous Nicoya Peninsula Blue Zone to The Retreat Sanctuary. All guests must arrive at The Sanctuary no later than 4:00 pm on arrival day; please schedule your travel accordingly.
- The best local airline that offers scheduled flights and charter services to Tambor Airstrip is Sansa. The flight time is 25 minutes. Check for flights on Sansa Airlines at www.flysansa.com. Their terminal is a 5 minute walk from the exit of the International Airport.
- An option to flying, we can prearrange land transportation (shuttle bus for a group or private taxi for individuals) from San Jose directly to The Sanctuary via roads and a ferry that crosses Nicoya Bay to the Nicoya Peninsula. This might be economical for a large group and is approx. 5 hours. Prices start at $260.
- Individuals can book their own shuttle through Montezuma Expeditions or Tropical Tours for approx. $50. Shuttles leave San Jose early every morning and will bring you directly to The Sanctuary. This is about a 6 hour trip.
- We do not recommend renting a car.
- Please allow at least 1.5 hours from your International arrival time in order to clear Immigration and Customs and to check-in for the Domestic flight.
+ Where can I stay if my flights do not fit the exact same dates as this trip?
For your extra nights, we suggest checking the hotels near the San Jose Airport which are both convenient and not too expensive. Sometimes flight arrival or weather conditions present an opportunity to stay overnight in one of the following places, all within 5 minutes from the airport.
Holiday Inn Express San Jose Airport $$ hiexcostarica.com Calls from US 011 506 2443-0043
Courtyard Marriott San Jose Alajuela$$ www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/sjoap-courtyard-san-jose-airport-alajuela/
If you would like to stay in the city center of San Jose (30 minutes from the airport)...
- Hotel Grano De Oro $$$ www.hotelgranodeoro.com email@example.com Calls from US 011 506 2255-3322
If you wish to stay in the charming beach towns of Montezuma or Cabuya (a more touristic and lively town located 30 mins away from Ayampe), we would recommend
Hotel Amor de Mar $$ www.amordemar.com firstname.lastname@example.org Calls from US 011 506 2642-0262
Hotel El Jardin $$ www.hoteljardin.com email@example.com Calls from US 011 506 8849-8560
The hotels below can also arrange taxi service for their guests arriving in the Tambor Airport and taxi service from their hotel to The Sanctuary.
+ Where can I purchase travel insurance?
A travel insurance is required to participate to the Experience.
We have had good experience with – Insure My Trip is a BBB registered insurance comparison site that shows rates from a number of companies. Also recommended – Travel Guard and Access America.
Some credit card also offer a coverage for short holidays. We advise you to check with your bank first.
+ Do I need to exchange money?
The US Dollar is accepted in Costa Rica; exchanging US Dollars to Costa Rica Colones is not necessary. Denominations of $20 are best.
ATM: The closest ATM machine is a 12 minute drive into Montezuma.
Bank: The closest bank is a 25 minute drive into Cobano.
Safety Box & Personal Belongings Each room is provided with a safety box. The Sanctuary cannot be held responsible for any missing personal items.
+ what do i need to bring?
Bring lightweight clothes that dry quickly - no blue jeans. Shorts for the daytime and long pants when it is cooler. For the beach, shorts, tank tops, swimsuit, sneakers, Tevas and flip flops.
- Flashlight or Headlamp
- River-walking shoes with good drainage (Teva, Solomon, Keene)
- Flip flops, sandals, or crocs for garden walking
- Earth-friendly personal care products: soap, shampoo, conditioner
- Refillable Eco-Water bottle (our tap water is right from the source and delicious)
- Yoga mat
- Yoga clothes
- Earth-friendly sunscreen and bug repellent
- Sun hat
- ALL of your own toiletries. Eco friendly products.
- Rash guard
- Cash for any extra wellness services, taxis, or gratuity
Appliances such as hair dryers, curling irons, hot rollers, and similar energy-draining items cannot be supported with this system and hence their use is not allowed.
+ are there mosquitos?
Yes, there are some mosquitos and other insects who live here in the jungle but we are in a Tropical Dry Forest so there are not as many as there are in the Southern Coast, Osa Peninsula or Caribbean Coast. Loose cotton clothing and bug spray should do the trick!
+ what is a blue zone?
A Blue Zone is one of five regions on the planet where the concentration of people living into their 90’s and 100’s in robust health is the highest. Costa Rica’s Nicoya Peninsula (the location of The Sanctuary at Two Rivers) is on this list! Some of the common characteristics of global Blue Zones are that the residents eat a plant based diet rich in legumes, integrate moderate physical activity into their everyday lives, don’t smoke, value their families and engage in their communities...your time with us at The Sanctuary will increase the quality of your life!
+ are we close to the beach?
Yes. It is a 30 minute walk (about 1km) from the door of your casita to the beach across the street from our entrance gate.
+ Is there wifi?
While we are totally “off-the-grid,” we have wifi access 24/7 at the Al Fresco Dining Area. In addition, we have a wireless broadband USB data stick which only works in a laptop, not on an iPad. We encourage you to disconnect while on your retreat, however you may connect at any time if need be. The Sanctuary also has cell phones in case of an emergency.
+ how do i reserve my spot?
- Fill up the application form on the desired Experience page.
- We will send you an email confirming your admission and the availability of the requested dates.
- Send a 600$US deposit to secure your spot.
- 60 days prior to departure, the payment of the balance will be required.
+ What if i have a food allergy?
We always do our best to accommodate food allergies. We can omit certain items from dishes, such as cheese, dairy, and nuts. We cannot guarantee a completely gluten-free or nut-free environment. Persons with serious food allergies such as Celiac's Disease or those on a 100% raw food diet should not attend a retreat. We must know of all serious food issues at least three weeks prior to arrival. Bring an open mind and allow your taste buds to savor this unique culinary adventure!
+ can i smoke there?
We do not allow smoking anywhere on the property. We reserve the right to ask any guest to leave with out a refund for not respecting this code of conduct.